Close
Contact us: Independence House Plot 11/13 Olya Rd Gulu City, 0711 111 666, Email Us

Health Experts Warn of Possible Undetected Ebola Cases

Dr. Diana Atwine, the Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Health

Agency

Health experts have raised concerns that the latest Ebola outbreak may involve more undetected cases, particularly in Kampala. 

While two Ebola cases have so far been confirmed in Uganda following the outbreak declared on Friday, health experts fear there could be many more infections yet to be identified, particularly in Kampala.

Speaking at a meeting attended by nearly 1,000 health workers from across the country on Monday, Dr. Sunday Haggai Kithula, the head of surveillance for public health emergencies at the Ministry of Health, said many people had already entered Uganda from eastern Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), where the current outbreak originated.

Uganda has since halted the expected arrival of about 6,000 pilgrims from the DRC for the June 3 Martyrs Day celebrations in Namugongo.

He further revealed that the first confirmed case, who later died from the virus, travelled through Hoima before seeking treatment at Kibuli Hospital in Kampala.

The Ministry of Health says 127 contacts linked to the two confirmed Ugandan cases are currently being monitored.

These include several health workers at Kibuli Hospital who treated the deceased patient. Early symptoms of Ebola include headache, fever, abdominal cramps, and muscle pain. In severe cases, patients may develop organ damage, which significantly lowers their chances of survival.   

scroll to top